Causing an accident is certainly stressful, but knowing that you hurt a friend or family member who was riding along with you can be even more so. Our team at Partners Insurance & Financial Services Inc. knows the guilt and anxiety that can come with hurting a loved one, and we’re here to hopefully give some comfort. If you’re wondering whether your insurance company will assist in medical care reimbursement for your passengers following an accident you are deemed at fault for, the short answer is yes. Your insurance company will take care of them!
But, there are some limitations and things to know about how much to expect from your Huntington, WV or other West Virginia policy. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need to know:
Understanding Passenger Expenses Following an At-Fault Accident
West Virginia’s laws on insurance and liability make ours what is called a modified comparative fault state. This means that accidents may not be considered completely your fault. When an officer comes to the scene of an accident, they’ll write a report and consider what degree of fault each party is. Sometimes, a person may be 100% at fault for an accident, but in others, it may be 80% with the other party considered 20% at fault. Whatever percentage of fault you are found at fault of, that is the amount you are responsible for.
So, following an accident for which you are found at fault, your insurance company will pay out bodily injury liability according to your comparative responsibility and up to your policy’s limits. If your insurance policy offers Medical Payments Coverage, or "MedPay", they will use that to assist in paying for medical expenses incurred by you and your passengers regardless of fault.
Learn More About West Virginia Auto Insurance
For more information about auto insurance and protecting your household, give our team at Partners Insurance & Financial Services Inc. a call. We’re proud to serve Huntington, WV and other communities throughout the state with quality insurance.